Thursday, October 12, 2006

Milo

It is with a heavy heart that I write this post. I had put it off for two weeks and on the anniversary of his entering the clinic with poisoning it is only now I have the heart to write what follows.

Milo was sedated and well looked after at the vet's. I knew he was in the best possible care there and was positive he would be coming back home with his waggy tail and loving eyes.
On Saturday morning I was woken with at phone call at 08:3oam. It was the vet. Milo had died during the night at around 3am. His gut was severely inflamed due to the toxins being absorbed. I had to hand the phone to D. It was his dog after all. Due to monetary constraints D decided to bring his body home to bury in the back yard. I was hoping that we could have him cremated but this would have cost an additional $250.

D spent the morning preparing his grave in the back yard. Being such a large dog we had a bit of a hole to dig, the ground is hard as bone and as we live on a ridge there is solid rock not so far beneath the soil and clay. D went to bring Milo home later in the morning and we spent some time taking our last glimpse of the beautiful ears I so loved petting. The heavy waggy tail that would knock you over, but he'd already gone and this was just a shell. I don't know why the people who make bait to kill something as small as snails and slugs need to use toxins in the stuff that can kill an elephant.

I still am in disbelief that I'm writing this and there is a noticable lack of presence about the place. I can't keep writing as I'm still so sad about it all, I'm going to have to leave you with a pic of our boy from last year.

2 Comments:

Blogger eireann said...

oh, dear, so sorry to hear this. it's a hard thing.

3:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I realize it's quite late for me to be leaving this comment, but I've just read this and the previous post... and I wanted to say how truly sorry I am for the loss of your dear furry, waggy, friend Milo. He was so obviously loved by you, and there is no doubt that he knew that until the end. Take care.
xox ez (fellow dog lover)

4:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home