Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Happy ANZAC day!!

Yeah a day late but let the remembrance linger I say.

D's birthday is on the 24th, the day before ANZAC day so we tend to celebrate on the latter day.
I decided that I would cook dinner for him as a treat and invited his parents and some of the family. I also took the liberty of inviting his bf who was very happy to be invited and came bearing beverages, a trip down memory lane he called it.

I spent the morning prepping things ahead of time. Chopping, slicing, blanching, baking etc. Boy does this help! D reclined on the couch and finished the book, Mao's Last Dancer, that he was ripping through. This is quite an effort for him as he has several books on his night stand which are in various stages of completion and he started this book on our "honeymoon". So it has taken him 22 days to read! I'm impressed.

Then I had a break and we went and bought some office supplies for his business and I bought a couple of winter tops with the money I earned from the detailing of a boat that I did on the previous Friday. More on this later, I think.

It was really nice to have the day together just pottering around. We don't really get to spend much time by ourselves without others demanding attention.

For the dinner I decided on an all Kiwi/Aussie affair with a hint of Malta of course.
Classic roast lamb dinner with roast potatoes and pumpkin, julienne carrots and a gorgeous salad with beans, fetta and pinenuts dressed in olive oil and lemon juice. Pavlova with raspberries, dark and white chocolate shavings and MIL brought a caramel slice with coffee and walnuts in the caramel, tasty!

I found out that D loves the film, The Gods Must Be Crazy, so I thought this would be a great present for him. I was fortunate that there was a promotion on at the ezydvd stores in Australia where they had "classic" films presented in a tin. The tin came with both The Gods Must Be Crazy I and II, I didn't know there was a sequel! So this was a surprise for him when he opened it! I made the paper from a cute image of a baby baboon examining something like a leaf and had a quote from the movie over the top. D read it before opening the gift and after a bit recognised the quote from the movie. I was impressed with this but he had watched half of it on Sunday night so he may have remembered if he'd seen that part.

The thing I love about occasions involving D is that he always states "No gifts, No party's". Bah humbug is what I think and do it anyway, and of course he loves it when it comes down to it. While I was preparing all the food I was trying to keep him from discovering how much of it I was making giving away the fact that the roast dinner I was making for him was for a few more than the two of us. I managed to keep this up until we left for the break to the shops where his curiosity was piqued by the tea towel covering bowls on the table. When he saw how many carrots I'd julienned he became wise to my secret. I didn't let on his bf was coming though. I left that until he arrived that afternoon. Milo barking gave away that we had an early visitor and D's proclamation of "I think someone is here!" in that voice where he knows something is up and I've been sprung again, made me have a wee chuckle to myself and I answered with a "well then you'll have to get the door!"

Oh it was fun to say the least and he even suggested that we cook the roast on the fancy new bbq that his dad had gifted us for our wedding. Perfect, I was hoping this would happen as I was wondering how on earth I was going to roast enough potatoes for 10!!

Next on the agenda is the dolphin pinata for his niece. I like a challenge!

Stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home